Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Clothes Don't Grow-Kids Do

If you read my previous post (thanks in advance for keeping up with me) then you saw a reference to me making a (traumatic) trip to the Post Office to send a package for thredUp.  If you did not read my previous post, I strongly encourage you to do so (for selfish reasons in that I want you to read what I blog about, that's why I blog...) or you can just take my word for it that thredUP is mentioned in the blog...your choice.  Any how, Saturday I sent a thredUP package.  Now, you might be asking yourself "What is thredUP?"  Well if you are a parent (and by that I don't mean a parent to pets-sorry) then you should be interested in reading further...if you aren't a parent, you can still read, but you might not be as interested...so if I am losing you here, thanks for stopping by for a minute :)

If you have kids, you know that they grow out of their clothes practically before you have time to remove the tags and wash them.  Hannah has tubs and tubs of clothes that she has outgrown, and we, of course, saved them just in case Baby #2 happened to be a girl as well, but if you read one of my previous posts, you know that Jason and I have decided that our family is perfect just the way it is...so now we need to find something to do with all of her "old" clothes (how old can they be, I mean she is only 2...)  I went out and did some research and stumbled across thredUP. 

Very simply put, thredUP works like this: create an account, pick a box you like, pay $5 plus shipping, prepare a box of items that no longer fit your child, when someone picks your box, send it for free.

thredUP sends you the boxes for you to pack-I received 10 medium flat rate boxes in the mail, and you fill them with the clothes your child(red) has/have outgrown.  It is super easy.  The person who selects your box pays for the shipping costs so all you have to do is send it, and you can even have your mail carrier pick it up from your front door so if you can't make your way to the Post Office, the pick up is scheduled for you!  It really couldn't be easier!

The more boxes you post, the more you can choose from other people's boxes.  The person selecting the box gets to rate & review your box based on style and quality/quantity of the clothes in each box. As previously mentioned, I built a box, and literally 5 minutes after I posted it for others to view, it was selected! (I firmly believe this was due to the excellent description I provided for each item in the box-and it was PACKED) I don't want to toot my own horn, but (toot toot!) I was awarded 4 stars and 10 stylie points (max points in both categories) by the person who selected my very first box.  thredUp has a Golden Rule and it is "Send only what you'd be willing to receive."

I chose a box and it arrived within a few days, and I loved all of the clothes in it. 

If you find yourself in a similar situation with the clothes, please check out thredUP and join in the trading fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment