Friday, May 20, 2011

This is NOT a drill...

So I am sitting ont he couch last night, watching Grey's Anatomy when I start to smell something weird...not in a Oh Dear Lord, Jason, you stink kind of weird (I know you know what i am talking about here), but in a...What a minute, is something burning kind of weird...So, I get up and go into the kitchen to investigate...I don't see anything on the stove...but the dishwasher is running...and then I realize...the smell is coming from the dishwasher!  All of the lights on the display were flashing as if to alert me that there is an emergency situation, so I open it up and sure enough, there WAS something burning...one of the lids to Hannah's sippy cups had made its way from its home in the top rack, all the way to the bottom (note-not the bottom rack, but the BOTTOM of the dishwasher) under one of the coils...and then proceeded to melt on top of it because the coil was so hot, and then, yep, you guessed it...started to catch on fire...not good...crazy.  The good thing was that I caught it in time, the bad thing was that the house smelled like a giant candle had just been blown out...so I thought it would be a good idea to spray some lysol...so now it smells like a sanitized birthday candle that has been blown out...sheesh-later I will be trying to figure out if the dishwasher can be saved...keep your fingers crossed! 

Let's begin with Five Question Friday shall we?




1. Do you and your spouse go to bed at the same time?

Rarely...I work a traditiionalish schedule M-F, so i tend to go to sleep at the same time every night 10ish (Hey, I don't deny I am an old lady...I know I can't hang with the young pups anymore, and I don't even try to-because no matter what time I go to sleep, Hans is still going to wake up between 5 and 7.) whereas Hubs works a different 12 hour shift schedule alternating nights and days with , so we rarely go to sleep at the same time...and we almost NEVER wake up at the same time...

2. A question for the ladies...What kind of facial hair do you like on your man?
Hmmm...tough one.  When I first met Hubs, he had a lot of facial hair, around his mouth and some longer sideburns but not in a "Your stache looks might hauncho kind of way (man that sounds like something straight from the 70's).  Now that Hubs is a police officer, he really can't have the long side burns or the untraditional facical hair, so he has none...but if he doesn't shave every day, he, like a warewolf, gets super hairy...his facial hair grows at the speed of light...crazy...Sometimes I like him with a little stubble, but other than that, he looks weird to me when he tries to go for days without shaving...but when the scruff gets to be too much, I make Hubs rub his face int he crook of his elbow so he can feel how bad it hurts too...STORY TIME!  When I was in college, I knew a girl how jsut started dating this guy...and one night apparently they celebrated Makeout Fest 2000, and she came back and her face (in the mouth region) was red, raw and blistered...she had 3rd degree stubble burn from her new guy's scruff-no lie!  She was miserable for weeks!  I can't even imagine how she explained that to her family...I vowed from that moment on that I would never put myself in a situation inwhich I could receive any degree of stubble burn!

3. What's the worst vacation you've ever taken?
Oye...well...there have been 2...and both of them werejust weekend "getaways" and the drama surrounding them involved the same individual, and sadly, because she is family I know we won't be able to avoid some type of similiar situation from happeneing again...(I am not going to go into much detail because I would not like to relive the drama...but those of you who do know me, you know which "vacations" I am talking about).  I just wish that sometimes some people would think about what they are going to say before they say it...and realize when they are speaking to an adult as opposed to a child....generally, when you tell me one thing, I do not need to be reminded again-I do not need constant reassurance of what is going on...'nuff said...

4. What's the first-ever blog you followed?
The first blog I ever followed was written by Julie Olsen.  I "met" Julie on iVilliage, first in the July 08 expectant mother's group, and then we moved together to the July 2008 Firecrackers group.  Julie's son was born in July-just like Hans, but shortly after he was born, Julie was diagnosed with triple negative Breast Cancer-and was determined not to let that cancer define who she was as a person-her blog kept us all up to date with the status of her treatments and well being in general.  I read all of her ups and downs...kept up with her while she went through her chemo, and had all of her "lady parts" removed (Julie's words, not mine, but I liked them so I use them).  I am happy to say that Operation Kick Cancer's A$$ was a success and Julie is now cancer free and lives her life trying to educate people about cancer and finding a cure...Julie is one of the strongest people I have ever had the pleasure of "knowing."

5. Do you enjoy amusement parks?
Yes, I do enjoy amusement parks-I love roller coasters and so does Hubs.  Hannah seems to be a bit of a daredevil herself, so we can't wait until she is old enough and tall enough to ride all of the fun rides with us.  We are thinking about taking her to Disney World next year.  She loves Mickey and all of the other Disney characters-so I know she is going to have a balst-honestly, I am getting excited thinking about how excited she is going to be!  I love to see that kid smile and hear her laugh!

I know, yet another post without pictures...hopefully I will be able to get some pictures up for you next week...can you hang on for that long?  Thanks!
For the record, This post was drafted like 5 times, but none of my changes could save...which is lame...here's hoping that a full post is going to make its way tot he blog soon...

You should join 5 Question Friday too!

No comments:

Post a Comment