Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Welcome To the 21st Century

I used to work at Verizon Wireless...I started out as a customer service rep and then moved on to be a Universal Coordinator where I did a variety of things, but mostly tech support...which was great for me-problem solving...but it also taught me one thing-one very important thing...I am not a fan of "smart" phones...honestly, they were the majority of the phones that had issues that needed tech support...and they were constantly going out of date-practically right after they hit the market for external sales-a newer-better-version was available-leaving you, the eager consumer-who was so excited after the initial purchase, regretting the fact that you chose to procure your phone one day too soon....or worse, outside of the window of no haggle no questions no penalties for returns/exchanges....poor poor eager consumers...(also note to wireless customers-if you drop your phone in the water-the technician will know-do not try to claim that you didn't drop it in the water...and if you do drop it in the water, DO NOT put that piece in the microwave in an attempt to "dry it" you will have just ruined your phone and I am not even sure the insurance will cover it...put the phone and battery (if the 2 can be separated, please do so) in a bowl of UNCOOKED rice-bury them in the rice and leave them there for about 24 hours...then put the phone back together and try to see if it will work-the rice will absorb the moisture...if that doesn't work, then I am unaware of any other options for you...but the technicians are not the reason your phone broke or is not functioning-and they are people too-so treat them kindly and with manners.  I digress...

None the less, since leaving VZW, I really have a different outlook when it comes to cell phones...I really just need a phone that texts and calls...the end...I like to have one that takes pictures too...so Hubs and I got a phone about 3 years ago...and because the phones worked just fine, we didn't bother trying to upgrade when we became eligible...so when my phone stopped receiving/sending texts and calls, I knew it was time for a new phone...so Hubs and I made our way to the VZW store...

Crystal, our sales rep, was amazing.  She had the patience of a saint and was very knowledgeable and helpful...and even let Hannah watch Mickey Mouse Clubhouse on her iPad (side note-if you ever find yourself at the VZW store on Rivers Ave, ask for Crystal B, she will take care of you!) which was amazing because it allowed both Hubs and me to pay attention to what she was saying as opposed to the standard one listens and tries to explain everything to the other...never ends well for anyone.  When Crystal saw out phones...The Verizon Blitz, I am pretty sure she started to have heart palpitations...I would have if I still worked there...and then when she pulled up our account and saw that we were not only out of contract, but had been for 2 years, she probably had a mild heart attack...again, I would have, because this is make or break time-either we are getting phones today-or we are cancelling and going with another provider...

We both ended up getting Driod X2s...and as she was activating them, Crystal said-you are going to hate these until you really learn them-and then you will love them...and she even went through some of the apps and showed us which ones had a price associated when using them and which ones didn't-again-Above and beyond...

As we left the store, phones in hand, Crystal said-Welcome to the 21st Century guys!  I kind of laughed when she said it, but what's sad is that I am not sure how I lived without this blasted phone before...Both Hubs and I have become more and more addicted to them and all of the silly games on them...Angry Birds anyone?  I digress...

So Hubs and I have officially accepted the advancements of cellular technology-after years and years of avoiding it...I still maintain that while my phone maybe be "smart" it doesn't mean I know how to use that piece...I am still a work in progress...

And now I believe Hubs is convinced we need an iPad...anyone have one-what do you think about them-Questions? Comments? Emotional Outbursts?  Anything is welcomed!

No comments:

Post a Comment