This is for you. I can't begin to tell you how much you mean to me- and I know that when these 30 posts are complete there will still be information about me that you don't know...I hope that when you are older you will feel that we have a strong enough relationship to ask me anything-and that you are only moderately embarrassed when you hear the answers to all of your burning questions...hey-seriously, Mommy never claimed to be perfect-I know, as hard as it may be to believe, I was once young just like you and had a lot of learning to do...luckily I had wonderful parents (much like yourselves-pardon me while I toot my own horn for a moment-toot toot!) to show me the way!
I love you with all that I am.
Alright-jumping into the subject of this post. You get to find out 20 random facts about me so let's get to it!
1. I always have to sleep with a blanket on-even when it is a billion degrees outside (we do live in Charleston-I am pretty sure a billion is an accurate weather estimate for this area). When I feel like I am too hot, rather than take the blanket off, I stick one foot (or leg) out of the blanket to adjust my temperature.
2. I hate bananas. I find this to be a shame for you because Hannah-you love them (I feel certain that Baby Brother would love them too) but you only get to enjoy them if I am not home or you are somewhere else because the smell makes me gag. Seriously. I can smell a banana from across a room-yuck.
3. Your Poppi tricked me into attending a college for women. True story-that Poppi can be pretty sneaky sometimes. We were touring several colleges one weekend and one was Columbia College. Prior to this tour, we had attended about 5 tours of other schools, but as soon as I stepped foot in the parking lot of CC, I knew something was different. I made a broad statement-something to the tune of "Sure are a lot of girls on this tour..." Now, your Poppi, sneaky sneaky Poppi, looks at me, smiles and says, "Yep, this tour is for girls only." While this was not, in fact a lie, I feel as if it was not a whole truth either...but it all worked out in the end because I loved the school and decided to attend.
4. I love shoes. Your father will tell you that I am obsessed with them-he is just jealous that they don't make as awesome shoes for men as they do for women. I was working on cleaning out my closet the other day and came to the realization that I need a bigger closet to accommodate all of my shoes...and just so you know, no, getting rid of some shoes to fit my small closet is not an option.
5. Your Father and I met in 2001. I knew of him prior to meeting him in person, and from what I knew of him, I did not care for him in the slightest bit...funny how things turn out! (There will be a future post about how I met your Father later.)
6. I do not like swimming (or playing, standing, sitting, etc) in water that I cannot see through. This is why when we take trips to the beach I stay with the towels and read or take a nap. Daddy, on the other hand, will swim in the ocean all day long if you let him, so he is the one who you need to talk to when you are ready to play in the waves. This stems from an irrational fear of being attacked by a shark and an alligator at the same time...or really just one at a time. I just don't do it.
7. I really do not like to drive. I am directionally challenged and I hate getting lost. I much rather prefer to be the passenger in the car than the driver.
8. I have had a job ever since I was able to work, and even before that, I babysat to earn my own money. I worked while I was in high school and in college, and I was able to secure a job before I graduated college so there was no lapse in employment. Your grandparents did not force me to work, I wanted to earn my own money and do something constructive with my time. I hope that you develop a strong work ethic as you grow up.
9. I really dislike eating leftovers...when I was growing up we had leftover night at least once a week-it was my least favorite night of the week to eat dinner-I would much rather just have cereal or a sandwich. Now, when I am not sure what I want for dinner, I default to cereal or sandwich...but 98% of the time it is cereal.
10. I hate to be late. It makes me very frantic to know that I am running behind schedule and I have a very difficult time recovering from that frantic feeling throughout the day.
11. I have a difficult time falling asleep when it is too quiet. I need a little bit of noise somewhere to help me go to sleep-this could be the fan, the TV, a radio, your Daddy snoring (this is a point that he will never admit to-he swears he does not snore, but we all know he does because we have all heard it)-whatever, but I need something. I think this is because I have a hard time turning off my mind at night-I am always thinking about something when I need to be going to sleep so I need to have something else to take my mind off of it.
12. I make it a point to tell you I love you multiple times a day-I never want a day to go by without you hearing and knowing that I love you-because I do-with all of my heart-and when you love someone you have to make sure that that person knows it.
13. I have lived in both the North and the South, and while both have their Pros and Cons, I much prefer the North.
14. My favorite season is Fall. The scenery is beautiful and the weather is wonderful...That is one downside to living in the south-Fall is very brief in the south so you don't get to enjoy the season as much as you could/would in a state that has 4 legit seasons.
15. I would live in Jeans and a sweatshirt everyday if I could.
16.I have very thick hair. Because of this, I really do not like to blow dry it because it takes so long and I get super hot...
17. I don't like to have hair in my face. That is why, more often than not, you see me sporting a pony tail or side braid-or some other hair off of my face creation I have developed-well that and because I like to sleep-in in the mornings so my hairstyling time gets cut shorter than it needs to be to allow for another sort of hair style.
18. I call you everyday after you get out of school. Some days you don't want to talk to me, but I do it so I can get as much of a recap of the time you spent without me as possible. If I wait too long to call you, the only thing you tell me is-my day was fine-bye. If I catch you right after school is over I get ten times more of the details. I also miss you-so please continue to humor your crazy mom and accept my daily phone calls...as they will likely continue into your adulthood...
19. When brushing my teeth, I sing a song in my head (or hum it out loud) and dance to it...it makes the task far more fun!
20. Sometimes when I am talking on the phone, I make faces at myself in the mirror...I don't know why or when it started, but I crack myself up when I do it...you should try it because it is hard to get caught up in taking life too seriously-take some time to be silly every now and then!
Okay, so those are the random facts about your most Awesome Mom-and, yes, that is exactly where you get your awesomeness from-it is not from your father (though, you probably already knew that ;) )
I love you!